Monday, January 9, 2012

Building a Stronger SDP - Promoting Decorative Painting

You know, here we are in 2012 already, can you believe that? In a few months we will start all of the conferences for the year. Actually, they begin next month with the Vegas Show, then SDP, Houston, HOOT and NET. What a great year. Are ...you going to any of the Shows?

We, mainly myself, have a very busy year planned. I am running for the SDP Board Member at Large, will be attending the SDP, Houston and HOOT shows as a business exhibitor. I wish that I could attend them all but it just is not possible but maybe one day I could. All of this babble brings me to my point.

I operate with a different business philosophy. I am a firm believer in promoting and marketing decorative painting so I do a lot of marketing. In order for us to grow our industry I feel that it is critical that we market our art forms to any individual that we can get ourselves in front of for a presentation, demonstration or just a chat. You may have noticed that I use a lot of the social networks to reach out to anyone that will listen about the joys of decorative painting. I do not really care what craft, paint brands, media, brush types, art forms, sex, location, etc., I will always engage individuals in some form of discussion about decorative painting. It is true that I have a decorative painting studio but I do a lot of my marketind, outreach and yes even some seminars/workshops without charging a fee. I operate the DAC artists social network which is FREE to all it's members. I am teaching at two chapters this year at no charge to them for paints, travel, lodging, instruction, etc. I operated the World of Color for the last two years FREE to all of the attendees and I plan to continue and grow that event (need to find some time). I am not telling anyone this to receive any kudos or pats on the back. I do this because I want to and I feel that in order to grow our industry I need to give of myself and reach as many individuals as possible.

I take a firm stand on being inclusive of all art forms, all products, all brushes, all people and strong customer service. That is why I am running for the SDP Board Member at Large. I feel we need and deserve a better, bigger, and stronger SDP organization. An organization that listens to it's membership and is responsive to member needs. You as a member or a new member (yet to join) can make a difference. SDP is your organization so as an organization they need your support and input in order to build that bigger, stronger and responsive organization that is responsive to their communities and members. You as members can make that difference. I do not care what individual that you may cast a vote - JUST VOTE.

You know, I meet and speak to a lot of people and from listening to their comments it is clear they want change in their organization. So, it is truly important for all of us to join together and work towards building that organization. It is so important to me and I hope to you that our art form continues to grow. I reach out to all of my FaceBook friends, SDP members, potential members, painters, crafts men and women to support me and SDP. Working together we can make change and build a Stronger/Better/Bigger organization.

I, myself, am always available for anyone that would like to chat, just call me, drop me a line here on FaceBook or shoot me an email. Tell me what you want to see from a Strong SDP. If I receive a message from any individual, I can assure you that I will respond.

Okay, I will get of my soapbox now. It is just I am very passoniate about decorative painting and our future as an industry.



David

No comments:

Post a Comment